While you may initially consult your family physician, he or she may refer you to a Podiatrist who specializes in foot disorders or sports medicine.
What you can do
You may want to write a list that includes:
- Detailed descriptions of your symptoms
- Information about medical problems you’ve had
- Information about the medical problems of your parents or siblings
- All the medications and dietary supplements you take
- Questions you want to ask the doctor
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions. Being ready to answer them may reserve time to go over any points you want to spend more time on. For instance, your doctor may ask:
- Do your symptoms tend to occur at a particular time of day?
- What types of shoes do you usually wear?
- Are you a runner, or do you participate in any sports that involve running?
- Do you have a physically demanding job?
- Have you experienced any injuries to your feet in the past?
- Besides your foot, do you feel pain anywhere else?
- What, if anything, seems to improve your symptoms?
- What, if anything, appears to worsen your symptoms?